Local Zero RECYCLE
If your local recycling scheme leaves you at a loss what to do with a list items that are not accepted by your brown bin collection, the new Local Zero RECYCLE scheme provides an easy way for you to make sure packaging doesn't end up in landfill.
Local Zero RECYCLE makes it easier for you to recycle even more everyday packaging that cannot be put into your usual household waste.
We know that there is disparity in the levels of recycling facilities available to the different areas that we operate in, for example, Test Valley is very limited in what is permitted in their brown bins, whilst just a stones throw away, over the border into Wiltshire, they accept a much wider variety of items, with kerbside glass and food waste collection. Local Zero are working with TerraCycle to collect and recycle almost any form of waste. Whether it's coffee capsules, pens, plastic bags, with Local Zero RECYCLE we will be able to divert millions of pounds of waste from landfills and incinerators each month.
What’s more, we are supporting local schools and charities to help them benefit from fundraising initiatives linked to the collection of specific items such as Printer Cartridges; our first partnership is with Wherwell School.
How to participate in Local Zero RECYCLE
Local Zero RECYCLE is available to anyone who shops with Local Zero. To join the scheme, all you need to do is place an order through our online store.
When we deliver your order, we will provide a box for you to start filling with materials you wish to be recycled. We will collect the box when we come to deliver your next order, or you can let us know when your box is full and we will add you to our collection schedule.
To make life easier, your Local Zero box can be left on your doorstep, so you don't need to be home when we collect.
We we can recycle:
- Any flexible plastic packaging including cereal bags, coffee bags, fresh seal bags, snack wrappers, rice or pasta packaging, gum packaging, plastic bags, bin bags, packaging for dried products and freezer bags
- Plastic items not generally recycled including baking packing/muffin tins, foam sheets, frozen food bags, ice bags, drink mix packaging and wrappers.
- Shipping material including bubble wrap, packing peanuts, airbags, shrink wrap, cushioning pallet liners and covers
- Any hard / rigid plastic packaging including spices packaging and plastic containers for food or condiments
- Plant-based or biodegradable plastics (e.g. PLA)
- Printer cartridges
What we CANNOT recycle (YET!)
- Food content and liquid waste
- Paper, metals, cardboard, glass
- Plastic cards eg. Bank cards, membership cards or loyalty cards
- Hazardous waste (sharp, flammable, reactive, corrosive, ignitable, toxic, infectious or pathogenic) which presents a danger to the environment, or to people
- Pressurised canisters, broken glass and medical waste